Infection Control, Including COVID-19 Prevention Precautions
Infection control and universal precautions protect patients and staff alike. Everyone benefits from rigorous infection control — you, your dentist, and the dental team. The cornerstone in a good and safe dental practice is the element of trust. You should feel free to discuss this topic with Drs. Nigro or Ellinger and receive a straightforward answer.
Drs. Nigro and Ellinger and their entire team follow procedures recommended by several agencies: the American Dental Association (ADA), the Occupational Safety & Health Administration (OSHA), the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) and the Centers for Disease Control (CDC). We follow the activities of these agencies so that we are up-to-date on any new rulings or guidance that may be issued. We do this to make sure that our infection control procedures are current and adhere to each agencies’ recommendations. These measures include:
- Covid-19 screening questions and temperature screenings (patients, patients’ guardians, and staff)
- Facial coverings required
- Disinfectant hand soap and hand sanitizer stations
- Gloves, face shields, protective eye covering and double face masks, including KN95 masks
- Chemical disinfection of countertops, surfaces, iPads, dental chairs, etc.
- Sterilization of all equipment before every use using an autoclave
- Disposable materials
- Pre-procedural hydrogen peroxide rinse
- Since opening at our current location in 2002, our office HVAC system has been equipped with an air purification system providing MERV 16 filtration, which is common for surgical facilities and hospitals. As an extra precaution, we have decided to add UV light disinfection technology to this system.
We sterilize all reusable equipment, including dental hand pieces. We use an autoclave, a device that kills bacteria and viruses by steam, heat and pressure.
The best defense against disease is information. The more you know, the better equipped you are to make wise decisions about your health care. The more you know about our daily procedures and policies, the more comfortable you will feel. Call us with any questions or concerns at 419-419-3334, or toll free at 888-787-4808.